Huge Two Part Holophane Prismatic Pendant Lights
Made of: Copper and Prismatic glass
Date of manufacture: Worked from 1893, Circa 1920's
Manufacturer: Holophane Manufacturing Co
Country of origin: England
Size: Height 37 cm (14.6"), diameter 37 cm (14.6")
Condition: Excellent no chips, no damage.
We have two early oversized two part holophane pendant lights, complete with their original hooked copper galleries and clips with fluted glass upper sections. Their bases are slightly diffused and branded 'Holophane'. 2141 Pat No's 114988. ' Made in England'.
Salvaged from a Cornish chapel, these are very substantial fittings. Also included is around 9ft of original chain.
In 1893, the French engineer and physicist André-Eugène Blondel (1863-1938), with the help of a Greek engineer, Spyridon Psaroudaki, invented the prismatic lens and started the Holophane Company of France, the wood Holophane coming from the Greek 'holos' for whole, and 'phane' for light.
The Holophane lampshade gave an even light by using the principle of a Fresnel lighthouse lens, the invention of which is credited to Augustin-Jean Fresnel (1788-1827), a scientist and French commissioner for lighthouses, and was first used in 1823 at Cordouan in the Gironde estuary.
Borosilicate glass (aka Pyrex) was used, which has a very low coefficient of thermal expansion making the lamp shade very resistant to thermal shock and stress.
In 1896 a British company licensed Holophane's patent and started Holophane Ltd in the UK.
The earliest Holophane prismatic borosilicate glass luminaires were designed for gas lighting during the 1890s. It became the lampshade of choice for electric lighting in public places such as churches, factories, and industrial buildings.
Re-wired and supplied with chain and ceiling hooks
QTY x2 in stock, price is per pendant.