Ebonised Elm Chapel Chairs 'Glenister of High Wycombe'
A run of exceptional high quality ebonised elm chapel chairs, rich in colour and deep patina, with obvious age related wear to all. Manufactured by Glenisters’ of High Wycombe c.1880-1920s.
Each chair incorporates a combination of desirable features including rear bible shelves, shaped elm seat and less known full ‘Top Hat’ superstructures beneath suitable for storage, originally it stored the kneeling cushion /hassock, or the Victorian Gent’s large top hat.
Makers Mark carved into the backs of chairs ‘Glenister High Wycombe’ and also has unusually the added feature of a set of initials which we can only attribute to either the chair framer or possibly the rich family parishioners who worshipped at the Church further research may bring this to light.
By the end of the 19th Century High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire, the Chilterns was the furniture making capital of the world. Glenisters’ was one of the oldest and largest furniture making manufacturers based in the area at Temple End Factory (the factory closed in the 1990’s).
H:78 W:42 D:43 CM (Seat Height 44 cm)
H:30.5 W:16.1 D:16.8 INCHES (Seat Height 17.2 INCHES)
£85.00 per chair
Stock x4 available